Match report: Folland Sports vs Verwood Town




Smith won a heading battle with a couple of minutes gone and then Sam Danvers won the next one as Follands launched balls forward. A third effort was intercepted by Gajic. His ball wide gave Nicholson a run forcing a corner. 3 minutes on the clock and Nicholson climbed high in the box to put a glancing header past the keeper. 1-0.

A Gajic sweeping tackle on 8 minutes stopped another central attack but his ball for Butler was intercepted and another punt down the line put Follands in our third. A Danvers tackle stopped progress and gave back possession. Taylor took up the running and a threaded pass gave Nicholson space. A good low cross was followed in by Vint, but the side netting took the shot.

It was frantic stuff for most of the half with the ball exhausted from travelling in an oxygen starved atmosphere.

. Follands’ long balls from the back were quite accurate, but efforts down the right had been successfully curtailed by Smith, Gajic and Danvers. Then came the switch. Dyer and Hall stepped up to the plate to contain runners down their flank.

Dyer won a strong tackle freeing Hall. A mazy run to the edge of the box and Hall’s route to goal was blocked. A corner resulted from Hall’s tenacity in forcing a way through a couple of tackles.

Butler took the corner. A swerving inch perfect cross swept under the bar making it 2-0.

On 25 minutes we camped in Follands box. Taylor took a free kick on the edge of the area. Vint slammed a volley on target but defenders half cleared. Taylor followed in chipping the ball to Butler. Butler cut the ball back for Dyer and a chip onto the spot was headed over the bar by Vint.

Follands hit back with a barrage keeping our defence under the cosh. Cooper’s good hands took a couple of shots, but the game had settled more on the deck bringing midfield into the picture. Maddocks was a revelation with good cover and strong tackles. Smith though earned a yellow for his ball winning technique.

Half Time 2-0

This Follands side had an admirable approach and went for attack from the whistle. It was their undoing. 3 minutes gone and Vint followed up a cross and pressured a defender to head back to the keeper. The ball rolled gently into the bottom corner. 3-0.

Hall instigated a move on our right. Vint cut into the box but his shot went wide.

We continued attacking.. Maddocks sent Butler free but again the shot was wayward.

Follands sparked. Some good approach work had us on the back foot and we were forced to defend in numbers.

20 minutes of the half gone and Josh Hall made way for Josh Nace to go one for one.

Long balls continued from Follands defence but we were coping well. Gajic got a yellow for accidentally cutting down a runner but we erred on 34 minutes when a slip in our defence let in a player to slot the ball past Cooper 3-1.

Elliot Parslow came on for Callum Butler and Dan Hunt replaced Owen Nicholson.

We didn’t settle and a break through the middle wasn’t closed down 3-2. We had 7 minutes left of normal time left.

Now it was squeaky bum time. Follands went for broke. On 45 minutes we had cleared the area several times and Cooper had produced a great flying save. Vint went free with Parslow and Hunt in attendance but the keeper produced a good save just before the referee blew for full time.

Result 3-2.

This report originally appeared on Verwood Town FC’s website and is reproduced here with permission.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

You might also like
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.